OK, I was on msn.com today, anyone else? I saw one of the main articles about how books are becoming obsolete, or at least novels, and another which partially pondered the question of whether the new reading devices (Kindles) are going to replace books entirely. Wah, wah, wah. I hope that this will extend to textbooks, which are some of the most ridiculously overpriced things on the planet. Too many professors I think have made a lucrative hobby out of writing their own texts and charging inordinate amounts for them. I think they are a hardship on the American student who clearly needs that money for beer and cigarettes. Ok, mainly just me, not that I am in school, but after several years of school I have found that some textbooks are better than others and that some of the major publishing companies sell their books cheaper in other countries to people who then sell them back to us illegally on websites such as ebay or textbookx.com It is a different book with a different ISBN that says exactly the same thing on every page. hmmm. Should I report this and buy the legal, more expensive version, or should I use the thing and ace my class. Personally I think this industry could use a little kick in the pants. I think we should pick a favorite math, accounting, (insert subject here) text and use it nationally, and for the most part eliminate the professors who write a brand new text if they don't agree that chapter four should cover equilateral triangles. This is akin to online professors who don't like to use the program the school has provided and so write their own horrible websites, with links to pages that look identical to the one you were looking at, reminding you to do chapter 5 homework, with no helpful link to get to the instructions for it. If time is money, these professors are almost as expensive. In short, something reminded me of school and the ignorance of those who claim to know it all, which I do.
1 comment:
I did not see that, but good thoughts. Textbooks are such a rip-off!
Post a Comment