Blogger Layouts

Monday, April 21, 2008

My Schooling

One of my daily emails from LDS Gems had some wise counsel:

"We do live in turbulent times. Often the future is unknown;
therefore, it behooves us to prepare for uncertainties. Statistics reveal
that at some time, for a variety of reasons, you may find yourself in the
role of financial provider. I urge you to pursue your education and learn
marketable skills so that, should such a situation arise, you are prepared
to provide."

(President Thomas S. Monson, "If Ye Are Prepared Ye Shall Not Fear," Ensign, November 2004, 116

I think this is why I am so driven to finish my education; I want to be able to provide for my children in a career that I enjoy should the need arise, and money is so easy to come by for those who know a trade and how to conserve.

In any case, I also hear there is a push to require a teaching certificate for homeschooling in California, and I hope to be prepared should the requirement be made of me for my children. I bristle at the thought of my children being taught the 'new math' - which, for those who have not seen it, entails no logic whatsoever! I would like to teach my children about the Creation rather than the ridiculous theory that earth and everything on it just evolved to be this way. If that is the case, why didn't everything just follow the Chaos theory, and fall apart? I would like to start our school-day with prayer, and with the whole Pledge of Allegiance in a setting where it is not mocked by youngsters because an idle teacher has not the gumption or concern to see that it is reverenced. I wish to cut busy work out of my children's repertoire, and, most of all, to have my children see that learning is and ought to be a lifelong process, something to be cherished rather than cut off upon receiving a diploma or a letter from an accredited university.

No comments:

Where are my visitors from?